The Pacers beat the Raptors 106-90 on Monday which appears on the surface like your run-of-the-mill NBA game, with the home team beating the visitors playing on the back half of a back-to-back. But there was nothing ordinary about how this game played out and the numbers along the way were downright silly.
- With six minutes remaining in the first quarter, the Raptors were on pace for a 52-point quarter after ammassing a 26-5 lead. With four minutes left, the Raps were on pace for a 39-point quarter.They ended the quarter with 28 points.
- The Pacers rallied in the first quarter with a 22-0 run over a 5:07 stretch to actually take the lead with 36 second reamining in the first quarter. Last Tuesday the Golden State Warriors threw a first-quarter 22-0 run at the Pacers in 4:35.
- Frank Vogel lamented the poor transition defense played by the Pacers in Detroit on Saturday. In the Palace, the Pacers gave up 29 points in transition. While it didn't look good early against the Raptors, the Pacers ended up only surrendering three points in transition. That made Coach Vogel a happy man after the game.
- Where things get silly is in the individual plus/minus category, further verifying that plus/minus numbers on their own rarely tell the whole story. Both Rodney Stuckey and Lavoy Allen were +30 with four minutes left in the second quarter! They finished the game with even bigger numbers. Stuckey was +42 and Allen was +38 for the game! On the other side, Patrick Patterson took the brunt of the negative numbers for Toronto finishing at -28 for the game.
- Those plus/minus numbers were due to the violent score swing in in the game which eventually saw a 46-point swing when the Pacers took their biggest lead of 25 points in the fourth quarter.
Simply silly numbers that can make a deep dive into statistical analysis hit the bottom of the pool.
SB Nation's partner FanDuel is running a FREE money fantasy basketball league tonight. Half of the league win cash. Join now!
Check out the links:
Game Rewind: Pacers 106, Raptors 90 | Indiana Pacers
Raptors fail to keep pace in Indianapolis | Toronto Star
Pacers stumble out of the gate, then blow by Raptors
Hill scores 20 points to lead Pacers over Raptors 106-90 - AP
Miles Steps "Fourward," Writes the Game Plan | Indiana Pacers
CIB to pay $3.6M to replace Bankers Life Fieldhouse roof | 2015-12-14 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com
Three things that came out of the Raptors game | Toronto Star
Raptors waste dominant start in 106-90 loss to Pacers - Raptors HQ
TheJayGravesReport.com: How the Pacers came in like the Feds on the Raptors and took EVERYTHING! "Pookie"
Indiana Pacers Rally from 21-Point Deficit, Win in Rout
Q&A with former Pacers forward Luis Scola | Vigilant Sports