According to Mike Wells, Frank Vogel interviewed former University of Utah coach Jim Boylen for the final assistant coaching position with the Indiana Pacers. Boylen would join Brian Shaw and Dan Burke on Vogel's staff and would make a solid addition.
Boylen was an assistant coach in the NBA for 13 years including 11 years with the Houston Rockets where he was a part of two NBA championship teams. He also has a good reputation for coaching big men having worked with Hakeem Olajuwon and Yao Ming with the Rockets.
There were reports a couple of weeks ago that Boylen was going to join Mike Brown's staff with the Los Angeles Lakers but apparently he is still available. An assistant coaching job with the Pacers may be more attractive anyway considering the limited number of coaches will expand the opportunities and responsibilities for the assistants.
After the jump, plenty of links with stories on Vogel's hiring and other NBA lockout and free agency news.
PACERS: Pacers Name Vogel Head Coach
Pacers.com coverage including video of the press conference.
- Vogel excited about 'building something bigger' with Pacers | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
- Kravitz: Vogel's rise is an underdog story you've gotta love | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
- Vogel hired as coach after two months of waiting | Pacers Insider blog | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
- Assistant coach candidate profile: Jim Boylen - latimes.com
- NBA guarantees refunds with interest if games are missed due to lockout - fox59.com
Lockout aside, Nets still looking forward - NorthJersey.com
Al Iannazzone reports that the Nets PF search has Nene at the top of their wish list.
Dallas Mavericks Must Let Most Of Their Free Agents Go After NBA Lockout Ends - SBNation.com
Solid look at how the champs could survive losing several free agents who played big roles in winning the NBA title. Unfortunately, Tyson Chandler is the one free agent the Mavs should retain.
- In free agency, Dallas Mavericks' Tyson Chandler keeps it real - ESPN Dallas
- Length of CBA fight may be tied to television deals | ProBasketballTalk
- Michael Beasley Cited For Marijuana Possession, Likely Loses David Kahn's Trust - From Our Editors - SBNation.com
- RIP Armen ‘The Hammer’ Gilliam - Ball Don't Lie - NBA Blog - Yahoo! Sports