It seems that August is the month when NBA teams, writers and the fans begin looking back to the past, while simultaneously eyeing the future. It's really about all you can do when breaking news is at a standstill.
As the NBA training camps and preseason approaches, people are wondering how the offseason moves will affect the upcoming season. And when nothing new is happening in the league, people start looking back at the past to fill the void. Therefore, on a uneventful Sunday when absolutely nothing is happening with the blue and gold (could somebody sign A.J. Price? Anybody?) here are some links from the weekend that look through the windshield, while also peeking through the rear-view mirror.
- After Larry Bird wrote his "advertorial" a few weeks ago, coach Jim O'Brien gave it a shot as well as he drenched fans and potential ticket buyers with a very optimistic view of the team's offseason moves that brought in Dahntay Jones, Solomon Jones and Earl Watson.
- Big Smooth himself also chimed in about the offseason efforts of the Pacers. Sam Perkins wrote in his blog about the effect of the economy on NBA free agents, how the Pacers made big strides with their free-agent signings and he also touches upon saying "good luck" to the former members of the blue and gold as they enter the next NBA season.
- HoopsWorld examines each Eastern Conference squad to show the expectation levels regarding the upcoming season. Luke Byrnes writes that Indiana's season will be a failure if the team doesn't make the playoffs.
- Former Indiana Pacer Stephen Jackson is asking for a trade out of Golden State so he can play for a title contender. I'm guessing that takes the Pacers out of the running.
- Taking a look back at the best of what 2008-09 had to offer, NBA.com put together a highlight reel of the 10 best Pacers plays from last year.