Here's a few items of interest on a lazy summer Saturday:
- The Pacers and Pistons are cross-breeding to create Mad Ants. Actually the rival teams are both affiliates for the D-League Fort Wayne Mad Ants. Fort Wayne was named for General "Mad Anthony" Wayne, which is the genesis for the unique nickname. Someone needs a new t-shirt.
- As Bruno mentioned, Stanko Barac signed a five-year deal with Tau Cermica, which is a title-contending Euroleague team. Barac recently turned 21 so he'll be 26 when the deal ends. I'm assuming if his game becomes NBA-worthy, he has some escape language in the deal.
- Barac appears to be impressing scouts with his play this summer. Here's a recap of a recent game. Gotta love the translation. I hope the Pacers "shooting will be working great" next year.
- Scoop Jackson went out looking for some good news in the sports world and reports on heroic work being done through basketball. (via True Hoop)
- Team USA is gearing up for the FIBA Americas Tournament which begins next week. Here's the latest news from camp. The team opens against Venezuela on August 22nd.