So... I am a Seattle native, and that right there should probably tell you all that you need to know about why I stopped following the NBA 5 years ago. That was rough, especially given that the team had just drafted a kid who was looking to be a bonafide Gary Payton level superstar. That being said, I've been in Indy for a few months now, and I hear that this is a pretty good basketball team, and so, after being suckered in first by the whole Kings thing (hey, you've got to understand, we're a little desperate for a team), then being wowed by maybe the best Finals in the history of ever, I have decided to ignore stupid David Stern and start rooting for NBA basketball again.
So, since this is now my city as well, I'm choosing the Pacers. Here is what I know about them:
- Roy Hibbert was on Parks and Recreation Season 4 a pretty decent amount. I hear he's also a good center.
- You guys seem to think that Detlef Schrempf is your guy even though he went to the University of Washington and then played for the Sonics and Blazers for several years. Well... let's just call that a "shared history".
- We once traded you guys Derrick McKey and got Det back for him. I've heard that Pacers fans weren't too sore about that, as McKey was pretty okay for a couple years after that (and probably that same middling, GUHHHH WHY WON'T YOU EVER BE AS AWESOME AS YOU LOOK SOMETIMES way he was in Seattle), but I'm thinking that's false because Det was kind of a key piece in the whole championship run in '96.
- Rik Smits and Reggie Miller.
- Jalen Rose and I guess Ron Artest (although I think the latter has a new name now). Those guys had a run at the championship too, didn't they?
- "Loose Balls" by Terry Pluto (I have to admit, the idea of rooting for a former ABA team kind of fills me with joy).
What else do I need to know as a heartbroken former NBA fan trying to mend his broken heart of brokenness? There aren't any former Supersonics on the roster, are there!? ARE THERE??? That's something I can check, isn't it.... (looks)... no, looks like a big no. Well, I can live with that. And from what I've seen of the team, it does look young and awesome. Just... can you guys sign Desmond Mason please? I bet he's still in shape...