Feb. 21, 2012; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Indiana Pacers center Roy Hibbert (55) shoots the ball over New Orleans Hornets center Chris Kaman (35) at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Indiana defeated New Orleans 117-108. Mandatory credit: Michael Hickey-US PRESSWIRE
What a difference a day makes.
After the NBA free agent negotiating period opened up the Indiana Pacers were quickly tied to several players while having their priority free agent, Roy Hibbert offered a max deal forcing the team to prepare for the possibility that they let Hibbert walk.
One thing we also learned is that information is flying around although the actual salary cap numbers are not set and won't be for another week until players can sign offer sheets on July 11th. So, the report of a 4-year, $58 million max offer for Hibbert was speculation. Others who follow the numbers closely, like Storyteller, think the max deal may be closer to 4-years, $55.2 million.
Would an average salary of $13.8 million for Hibbert be more palatable for the Pacers to match? Of course.
But in the meantime the Pacers front office has to cover every contingency plan. So while the met with restricted free agent Eric Gordon yesterday, Mike Wells reports they also schedule a chat with center Chris Kaman for Monday. Kaman is an unrestricted free agent who has had trouble staying on the court, but when he does play he could provide a comparable replacement for Hibbert on the court.
There's no way the Pacers will be able to replace Hibbert's impact off the court, which is why this is an emotional situation for many fans. But until the dust settles on the details next week, we won't know the full story. Meanwhile, the Pacers front office will be working to keep their options open.
Check out the links after the jump.
- Pacers: Chris Kaman is next up | Pacers Insider | The Indianapolis Star | IndyStar.com
- NBA Free Agency: Roy Hibbert gets max offer from Portland; Eric Gordon, Pacers meet | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
- Pacers: Is Hibbert on his way out of Indy? | Pacers Insider | The Indianapolis Star | IndyStar.com
- Pacers have big decision to make on Hibbert - Fox Sports Midwest
- Pacers figure to be an active player-either signing or retaining-during the NBA free agent period. - fox59.com
- Put to the test - DailyBulletin.com
- Blazers make 4-year max offer to Pacers RFA C Roy Hibbert - CBSSports.com
- Trail Blazers offer free agent Roy Hibbert maximum contraact - Sam Amick - SI.com
- Trail Blazers, restricted free agent center Roy Hibbert reach verbal agreement on contract | OregonLive.com
- Every Pacers’ 2012 Free Agent Option | Eight Points, Nine Seconds
- Larry's Legends: Robbie Hummel's draft night was as stressful as his Purdue career. - fox59.com
- Indy Sports Legends - My top 10 white Indiana Pacers of the Larry Bird era
- Raptors go all-in for Steve Nash, Celtics eye Jeff Green, more free-agent news - Sam Amick - SI.com
- NBA Free Agency 2012: Tracking Deron Williams, Steve Nash And More - SBNation.com
- Brandon Roy meets with Timberwolves; Bulls, Pacers, Mavericks and Warriors up next - Yahoo! Sports
- Kevin Garnett returns to Boston, and the Celtics return to being Celtics again | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports
- Brooklyn Nets, Atlanta Hawks talk Joe Johnson trade, sources say - ESPN New York
- 2012 NBA free agency -- Houston Rockets, Omer Asik agree to 3-year, $25.1M deal, sources say - ESPN
- Backloaded offer for Jeremy Lin would give New York Knicks pause to re-sign him, sources say - ESPN New York
- Orlando Magic's Dwight Howard says he only wants to be traded to one team - ESPN
- Chris Paul declines Clippers extension offer. It’s just business. | ProBasketballTalk