Mar 10 2012; Newark, New Jersey, USA; New Jersey Nets shooting guard Gerald Green (14) dunks over Houston Rockets center Samuel Dalembert (21) during the second half at the Prudential Center. Mandatory Credit: Alan Maglaque-US PRESSWIRE
Indiana Pacers general manager Kevin Pritchard is officially wheeling and dealing again in the NBA after the Pacers made a pair of moves on Wednesday night to try to improve their second unit by trading away Darren Collison and Dahntay Jones for big man Ian Mahinmi and then signing a high-flying wing player in Gerald Green.
These moves alone won't improve the second unit since Collison played a vital backup point guard role. But the Pacers surely aren't done for the summer as they will need to add a point guard to the rotation. D.J. Augustin was mentioned and may still be in the mix now that Charlotte has released him to the free agent market. C.J. Watson would also be a nice backup option, but some of this depends on the Pacers possibly moving other players.
Like Collison, Tyler Hansbrough is going into the last year of his contract and with the addition of Miles Plumlee and now Mahinmi, it appears the Pacers would be willing to move Hansbrough for anything.
As for the new big man, I haven't seen Mahinmi play a ton probably because he hasn't played a ton nor done a lot when he's played. The Pacers can't get enough big men to put around the rim and even though it appears Mahinmi doesn't rebound or block shots well for his size, the Mavs were 2.3 points better per 100 possessions on defense when he was on the court.
Check out the links after the jump with more stories on the trade and free agency around the league.
- Reports: Pacers To Acquire Mahinmi | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE INDIANA PACERS
- Pacers acquire center Ian Mahinmi, send Darren Collison and Dahntay Jones to Mavericks in sign and trade deal | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
- Pacers: Do you like the trade? | Pacers Insider | The Indianapolis Star | IndyStar.com
- NBA: Pacers trade Collison, Jones to Dallas Mavericks - fox59.com
- NBA: Pacers sign free-agent Gerald Green - fox59.com
- The improbable return to the NBA for the New Jersey Nets' Gerald Green - Grantland
- Report: Gerald Green to sign with Pacers - CBSSports.com
- Pacers acquire Mavericks center Ian Mahinmi for Darren Collison, Dahntay Jones - Sam Amick - SI.com
- Indiana strangely decides to deal Darren Collison and Dahntay Jones to Dallas for Ian Mahinmi | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports
- Sources -- Dallas Mavericks acquire Darren Collison from Indiana Pacers - ESPN Dallas
- 2012 NBA free agency -- Dallas Mavericks rebound with flurry of moves - ESPN Dallas
- Sefko: Plan B taking shape for Mavericks | Dallas Mavericks Blog
- NBA Free Agency 2012: Indiana Pacers Readying To Offer Gerald Green 3-Year Contract - SB Nation Chicago
- Pacers Trade Darren Collison and Dahntay Jones for Ian Mahinmi for Some Reason and Will Perhaps Acquire DJ Augustin/Gerald Green | Eight Points, Nine Seconds
- Pacers’ Stephenson Still Learning " NBA.com | Hang Time Blog
- Chicago Bulls: Chicago Bulls in free agent holding pattern - chicagotribune.com
- Brooklyn Nets agree with Brook Lopez on $60 million deal - ESPN New York
- Run And Hide, Animals: Chris Kaman Is Coming To Texas - From Our Editors - SBNation.com