I'm up and I'm bored. I went to the playground with my kids today and since my dad and sister were out here visiting, I was, for once, able to go to the court and shoot some hoops....and it was not pretty. I did play a quick half court game against some teenagers and had a really good time (they were good...very solid shooters and knew where their spots were).
I was surprised at how effective I was just doing the little things. My team lost, but we didn't have the best players...it was 12-10 final (by ones). I definitely felt like the Lou Amundson/Hansbrough of the game. I was bigger/older than all of them, but WAAAY slower. Just came up with some nice hustle plays, good boards, a couple steals, a block, a save on the out of bounds line....set some killer picks, a couple nice assists. I was like 2-5...2 misses were layups and the other was like a 5 foot jumper in front of the unforgiving iron backboard/double rim....but it was fun.
I'm 33 and probably haven't played in a game, even a pick-up game, in over a year. Probably haven't played on a regular basis in a decade-and-a-half. It was really fun, but....good gracious was I feeling slow. And my feet/ankles are really sore and I have blisters....visible blisters on my feet (ill-fitting running shoes WERE worn)....and my chest hurt and I kind of tasted copper after the game....which worried me a bit.
So, I was just curious what type of real life involvement our current Cornrowers have on the court over the past few months/years.
What is your current Hoop Dreams status?
1. I am still in middle/High school and play for my school or AAU team (3 votes)
2. I'm in middle/high school/college/just out of school and play rec ball or pickup on a weekly basis (35 votes)
3. I played in HS/College and am now in my late 20's/early 30's, and play in rec leagues or pickup games on a weekly basis (20 votes)
4. I never played competativly, but am now in my late 20's/early 30's and play in rec leagues or pickup games on weekly basis (26 votes)
5 . I'm just too damn old to play (14 votes)
6. I'm over 30 (or nearly over 30) and just don't have the time but would love to (29 votes)
7. I'm actually a current player on the Indiana Pacers and just lurk on this site in my free time to see what people are saying about me (13 votes)
8. I was never much of an athlete, but I'm a huge fan of the game (17 votes)
9. I really just come here to troll and start confrontation...I don't really like basketball, per se (2 votes)
159 total votes