About the same time Peyton Manning and Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay landed in Indianapolis last night, the final buzzer went off at Bankers Life Fieldhouse leaving the Indiana Pacers with a loss to the Atlanta Hawks. Irsay's flight plan had already dragged away the few extra media members at BLF actually there to cover the Pacers. So for now, the blue and gold will quietly confound without much scrutiny locally.
That may be viewed by some as fortunate from a PR angle, but this team could use more public pressure because the pressure they are putting on themselves (which they are) apparently isn't strong enough to force change. Through the first 25 games of the season, the Indiana Pacers were able to avoid consecutive losses. Strong wins at Boston, at Chicago and at Orlando showed some impressive resolve while keeping the Pacers from streaking the wrong way.
Now the Pacers are streaking back and for and desperately need to tap into that resolve again to avoid going on a major slide. After losing their second consecutive game the first time, they went on to lose five straight. The Pacers took advantage of a schedule break to then win six consecutive games. Now they've lost two straight with a Florida trip on the schedule this weekend with games at Miami and Orlando. Yikes.
The loss to Atlanta last night will continue to sting until the Pacers win again. They simply gave the Hawks too many second chances and in turn never gave themselves a good chance to earn the win.
Check out the links after the jump.
- Box score: Hawks 101, Pacers 96
- PACERS: Rewind: Pacers vs. Hawks 120206
- Pacers try to figure out what happened against Hawks | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
- Pacers notebook: Hibbert shows signs of cooling | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
- Josh Smith lifts Hawks to victory at Pacers | ajc.com
- Hawks beat Pacers for third straight victory - NBA - AP
- NBA: Hawks drop Pacers 101-96 for back-to-back losses - fox59.com
- Forget 2 straight losses, the Pacers are about to be on a 4-game losing skid | Pacers Insider | The Indianapolis Star | IndyStar.com
- Hawks Vs. Pacers Final Score: Atlanta Knocks Off Indiana 101-96 - Peachtree Hoops
- Post-Game Grades: Pacers Lose One to the Hawks They’re Gonna Regret | Eight Points, Nine Seconds
- Magic still resisting Dwight Howard trade - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
- Pacers Surveying Options As Deadline Nears - RealGM Basketball Blog
- Chicago is out in front in budding Bulls-Pacers rivalry | NBA.com
- The NBA might consider putting advertisements on jerseys | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports