ATLANTA, GA - FEBRUARY 08: Josh Smith #5 of the Atlanta Hawks drives against Roy Hibbert #55 of the Indiana Pacers at Philips Arena on February 8, 2012 in Atlanta, Georgia. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
NBA All-Star reserves will be announced Thursday night and the Indiana Pacers are hoping their 17-8 start will earn an invitation to at least one of their players. Center Roy Hibbert seems like the most likely candidate considering his strong start to the season and the dearth of competition at center in the Eastern Conference.
Hibbert is averaging 13.6 points and 9.9 rebounds and has show signs of fading back to his inconsistent ways of late, but the impression he left around the league in the first month of the season should be enough to give Hibbert a solid shot at making the All-Star squad in the East.
Danny Granger summed it up best after Tuesday's game.
"Other than Dwight Howard, I can't tell you who's a better center," Granger said of Hibbert's opportunity in the Eastern Conference. "I think it would be awesome for him as a young big man in this league. It's an awesome time, a lot of fun."
Playing in the game would give Hibbert another boost of confidence which is always a good thing and may be just what he needs to get his game going on the court again.
Check out the links after the jump. Also, we are still having issues with the FanPosts widget but you can still create new FanPosts (New FanPosts link) and view published FanPosts (All FanPosts link).
- Box score: Hawks 97, Pacers 87
- PACERS: Rewind: Pacers vs. Hawks 120208
- Pacers start slowly, are unable to catch Hawks | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
- Hawks snap three-game losing streak | ajc.com
- Pacers Vs. Hawks Finals Score: Josh Smith, Joe Johnson Lead Atlanta Over Indiana 97-87 - Peachtree Hoops
- Josh Smith scores 28, Hawks beat Pacers 97-87 - NBA - AP
- Pacers notebook: Hibbert hopes to be named All-Star backup Thursday | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
- PACERS: Caught in the Web Indiana Pacers blog: Hibbert could join George on All-Star Weekend
- Post-Game Grades: Pacers Look Lackluster, Lazy, Lethargic Losing to Atlanta | Eight Points, Nine Seconds
- PACERS: Caught in the Web Indiana Pacers blog: After surprising start, Pacers need to keep sharp edge
- Granger or Hibbert for the All-Star team? | Pacers Insider | The Indianapolis Star | IndyStar.com
- Larry Bird would like to team with Kobe for the win, LeBron for the fun | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports
- Video: Will Ferrell introduces the Hornets | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports