Soobum Im-US PRESSWIRE
Pacers lineup change doesn't change offensive struggles against tough Spurs defense.
They should've charged the Pacers $200 per player and handed out snack at halftime for the personal lessons in how to get it done.
So while the Pacers saw where they want to get as a team, their play exposed just how far they have to go and it appears they forgot their map. Once again, the blue and gold wandered through far too many wasted possessions (19 more turnovers) and often were left to settle for a shot the Spurs were hoping they'd take.
Save for a good stretch of play for a few minutes to start the game and a few minutes to end the first half, the Spurs dictated play for most of the night. As Mike Wells reports, David West realizes his team is nowhere near competing with top teams like San Antonio with the way they've played through their first four games.
"No disrespect to the two wins we have. That stuff works against Toronto and Sacramento, but when you start talking about teams that have made playoff runs and have a proven system, you’re not going to be able tocompete and that was the case tonight," West said.
Even before the game, it was obvious the Pacers coaching staff wasn't pleased with the team's play. Frank Vogel isn't one to make lineup changes when the team is winning, but last night he added Sam Young to the starting lineup for Gerald Green.
That change had little impact on the outcome since again, the Spurs dictated the outcome, so we'll see if Vogel rides this lineup for a little bit, looking for something that works while waiting for Danny Granger. But, Young and/or Green are not the issue. Roy Hibbert and George Hill have to play much better than they did last night. Of course, I'm not sure Hibbert could play much worse.
On to Atlanta in search of more answers.
Check out the links:
- Pacers at Spurs - Box score, highlights
- Game Rewind: Pacers 79, Spurs 101 | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE INDIANA PACERS
- According to Boyle: Jim Durham Was a Giant of a Man | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE INDIANA PACERS
- Pacers blown out by Spurs 101-79 | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
- Spurs beat Pacers 101-79 for first 4-0 start - AP
- Pacers: The wrong kind of ‘D’ is being talked about | Pacers Insider | The Indianapolis Star | IndyStar.com
- Pacers notebook: Sam Young starts, Gerald Green returns to bench | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
- Spurs Nation " Blair ignites Spurs’ bench in win
- Spurs Nation " Jackson: Seasons in Indy made me grow up
- Spurs Win to Begin Season 4-0; Set Record - Pounding The Rock
- Post-Game Grades: Pacers Waste Oxygen, Everybody’s Time in San Antonio | Eight Points, Nine Seconds
- Spurs show Pacers, everyone that defense is why they are 4-0 | ProBasketballTalk
- The first official floppers - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN