I felt like a rubbernecker late last night.
From all of the comments, tweets and the box score during the Indiana Pacers loss to the New York Knicks yesterday, I knew the Pacers were part of a train wreck at Madison Square Garden on Sunday. But I had to look at the carnage for myself. Next time I'll take everyone's word for it.
That first half was nasty and the league gets an assist for the early tip time which seemed to have the Pacers and Knicks well guarded in the first half. Both teams had a great chance to seize control of the game as it became a test of mental toughness to grind through the early tip time and poor play.
Unfortunately, the Pacers have shown themselves to be mentally fragile all season and eventually the Knicks put them under their thumb. The Knicks are a good defensive team and the Pacers went the further step by making themselves easy to guard. It was a game where an 8-point lead seemed like 20 because scoring was such a chore.
Then as Mike Wells points out, the team found only cold water available in the showers. Seems a fitting end to a wasted trip to New York. The offense of ball and player movement to generate quality scoring opportunities cracked under a little pressure from the Knicks with poor shooting and another high turnover game negating the fact the Knicks scored under 90 points for the first time this season.
The Pacers have to leave that wreckage behind in New York and show some pride in D.C. on Monday as they play the winless Wizards who no doubt see the Pacers limping in as a target for their first win. Just another chance for the Pacers to show some guts and toughness, oh and execution on the offensive end.
Check out the links:
- Pacers at Knicks - Box score and highlights
- Game Rewind: Pacers 76, Knicks 88 | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE INDIANA PACERS
- Game Preview: Pacers at Wizards | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE INDIANA PACERS
- Team goes ice cold (literally) in loss to Knicks | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
- Colts, Pacers turn super Sunday into turkey day | 1070 The Fan – Opinion & Analysis
- Pacers: Call the search party, there’s a center missing. | Pacers Insider | The Indianapolis Star | IndyStar.com
- Knicks bounce back from 1st loss, beat Pacers - AP
- Knicks overcome fatigue to beat Pacers - Newsday
- NY Knicks bounce back against Indiana Pacers, Carmelo Anthony scores 26 points in 88-76 win at Garden - NY Daily News
- Knicks defense devours Indiana in easy victory - NYPOST.com
- Knicks 88, Pacers 76: "Ugly but good." - Posting and Toasting
- Post-Game Grades: Pacers Get Blown Out by the Knicks | Eight Points, Nine Seconds
- Frank Vogel Explains His Changes to the Pacers’ Offense | Eight Points, Nine Seconds
- Washington Wizards trying to avoid franchise-worst start vs. Indiana Pacers - The Washington Post
- Wizards can’t find the offense to match their defense - washingtonpost.com
- Brandon Roy to undergo another right knee surgery this week | ProBasketballTalk