Pat Lovell-US PRESSWIRE
The Pacers used their shootaround time wisely by altering their offensive game plan which worked according to plan on Friday against the Mavericks.
Vogel is normally calm and cool, answering all questions without trying to say anything he'll regret later. But on Friday he was rocking back and forth, and was a bit more demonstrative and assertive with his answers.
He was fired up. Prize fighter ready to go out in the ring fired up.
Vogel had changed paths with his offensive game plan to generate more cutting and passing in the half court and apparently he knew it was going to work. Once on the court, Vogel's team delivered an effort worthy of his pre-game excitement.
Point guard George Hill said it took one shootaround to turn things around which included putting in an offense more suited to Hill's tastes. Pretty impressive results for an hour of work.
"He put a system in that involves more movement, more cutting, more passing and it actually opens up the door for a lot of our players to be creative and just play basketball," Hills said.
"With that last offense, we were thinking too much, the ball wasn't moving and staying on one side of the floor," Hill continued. "This offense demands the ball move from side to side and different ways we can post up people and different ways we can cut and be creative so you have to tip your hat to the coaching staff.
"I like it because I'm used to running this type of offense. Coming from San Antonio we had a lot of offense predicated on a lot of movement, a lot of passing and cutting and sharing the ball, so I'm happy to be a part of it."
Hill gave his input on the situation and appreciated the coaching staff taking input from the players and not letting pride get in the way, but instead making progress with the change.
Just how much progress they make will be seen in the effort the Pacers give in Madison Square Garden on Sunday against a vastly improved New York Knicks team. But for one night, the Pacers played like the team they expected to be when the season started.
Check out the links:
- Mavericks at Pacers - Box score and highlights
- Game Rewind: Pacers 103, Mavericks 83 | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE INDIANA PACERS
- Getting Back to Basics | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE INDIANA PACERS
- Pacers rout Mavs, 103-83, to earn biggest win of season | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
- Pacers come to life in 103-83 rout of Mavericks | 1070 The Fan – Opinion & Analysis
- Pacers: Vogel was willing to make a change | Pacers Insider | The Indianapolis Star | IndyStar.com
- Postgame Press Conference: Pacers vs. Mavericks | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE INDIANA PACERS
- Dallas Mavericks crumble in second half, lose to Pacers by 20 | Dallas-Fort Worth Sports News...
- Mavericks Final Score: Indiana Embarrasses Dallas, 103-83 - Mavs Moneyball
- Post-Game Grades: The Pacers Haymake the Mavs and Show Signs of Being Good Again | Eight Points, Nine Seconds
- Indiana Fever, Pacers host a night for victims of Southside explosion | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE INDIANA PACERS
- NBA warns Oklahoma City Thunder's Kevin Martin for flopping | The Point Forward - SI.com
- Grizzlies knock Knicks from ranks of undefeated | ProBasketballTalk