There is a nice article on Pacers.com by Conrad Brunner (first link after the jump). He discusses the affect on former Indiana Pacers in their post-NBA careers. He lists Austin Croshere, Reggie Miller, Mark Jackson, and others on past staffs such as Rick Carlisle, Sam Mitchell and others. All of these former Pacers mentioned (among others) have had a great deal of success and at least a portion of their success is attributed to their playing/coaching days with the Pacers.
Brunner discusses the level of maturity and leadership of these teams, especially referencing teams from the late 90's..culminating with the 2000 NBA Finals. He says, "Those Pacers teams were not marked by spectacular talent, but rather remarkable professionalism, intense pride and strong chemistry. Those characteristics enabled them to become greater than the sum of their parts." This organization has cleaned out, and then restocked on talent, but has this "remarkable professionalism, intense pride and strong chemistry" returned yet? I don't think we are there yet, but I think this young team is at least capable of this. This team would benefit from learning from past teams. The leadership and passion of Coaches Frank Vogel, Brian Shaw, Jim Boylen and Dan Burke should trickle down to the players and begin to return the "intense pride" back in the Pacers and in the city...
After the jump, check out the links of the day...
- PACERS: Caught in the Web Indiana Pacers blog - Success bred success for Pacers of the '90s
- Pacers let go of three scouts | Pacers Insider blog | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
- Pacers part ways with scouts - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
- Euroleague wary of signing NBA players with existing contracts - Ian Thomsen - SI.com
- Chris Mullin plays Larry Bird to a tie - Ball Don't Lie - NBA Blog - Yahoo! Sports
- How The NBA's New Money Changes Everything And Nothing - SBNation.com
- The Point Forward " Posts Top 100 NBA Players — Nos. 51-60 "
- Danny Granger shows up on the top 100 list...find out where
- The Point Forward " Posts Top 100 NBA Players — Nos. 41-50 "
- Price tag in Hawks sale reportedly $300 million for 80% | ProBasketballTalk
- Lockout not dimming future for Team USA at 2012 Games | NBA.com
- Out-of-work NBA players back in college - NBA - Yahoo! Sports