I think I know how almost everyone sees this upcoming season, but I have a different view. My prediction is that your Indiana Pacers will battle for the fourth and fifth spots in the East with the Hawks and Orlando. I am going to lay out the reasons I think this, and undoubtedly the fantasy ninja fan guy will tell me why I'm wrong in a ten paragraph essay litterally 30 seconds after I post this. How can the ninja be on here 24/7 ready to post at all hours of the day. Does he get paid per word on this site? How does the fantasy ninja guy support his family? But I digress. . .
1. The Malice at the Palace Curse is Gone - We are due for a good season, and Epke going down is a sign to me that the bad luck is over. It is a new time for a climb up. Ron Artest won a championship, why can't we get to 4th in the East.
2. Contract Years - Three of our guys, Dunleavy, Murphy, and Ford are in thier contract years. I think all three are going to start, if no trades are made. So, they are going to play thier a**es off to get paid. They will play through injury, they are going to build thier stats, and get wins for this team. We all work for that almighty dollar, but they all make around 10 million. They want thier next contract to be as close to that as they can get. They will play great, because they have to, this is thier last chance. I like to call this the Dampiereffect: When a NBA player suddenly starts to play good in the last year of thier contract. Call urban dictionary cause thats a good one.
3. Young Core Becomes Vets - Hibbert is going to move as our solid starter at center, and Rush is going to be a good defender coming off the bench with the second unit draining threes. McRoberts has shown leadership in the summer league and I thnk that will help his confidence as he becomes the trash man for this team. Granger will continue to be the standout player, and the All-Star/MVP of our team.
4. Rookies Make Contributions - The young guys played good in Orlando, but as for the 10-11 season goes, none are ready to start. All will be good back ups, and give us the depth we have been lacking the past few years. If George can come off the bench and take the ball to the hoop, thats exactly what this team needs.
5. Why not?? Last year was a seriously injury plagued year, and we have some good pieces. Why not let all that come together now with a weakened division. If we can stay away from injury I think we can be there.
PS- One last Bold Prediction - I think the Fantasy Ninja Guy will get a job in 2011, crossing my fingers for White Castle third shift for him, and he will then post less than Tom Lewis. That one is a shot in the dark. . . Is that to much . . . I never know. . .